Aloha Folks, is it possible to build your own WordPress blog? You bet yeah! Here is some basic steps for starters.
You don’t have to be a techie savvy person, just willing to listen, learn and apply yourself.
If you’re still uncertain and afraid to make a start it’s okay. There are services you can pay someone to teach you, or you can pay a person to set-up your blog. But if you’re on a budget like most of us, then I would suggest take action.
Follow these Simple formulated step to get your own blog started. I was there were you’re at and now I am creating blogs on my own and marketing online and I am No website techie. I just took the basics and applied it. So let’s get started! There will be some minimal out of pocket cost, but nothing to break a hole in your pocket.
Basic Steps To Follow
Start by branding yourself, so people get to connect with you and come to trust who you are as a person. Get a domain name, why so you can start referring others to your blog. If you want to brand your personal name to get started with, then start with that.
1. Domain Registration- companies to look into; Godaddy.com , Nameboy.com, prices varies with companies, and cost based on purchases per year up to 5 years, check company for there prices. Once you purchase your domain name, it’s your domain name. And you’re ready for the next step.
2. Hosting – get a reliable hosting company that will look after your blog or website. There are a few other companies to choose from, most online gurus use this company and so do I. I have had incidents were someone tried to hack my blog and hostgator, immediately got it up and running.
Best Webhost To Use With WordPress
HostGator is one of the world’s top 10 largest web hosting companies with more than 2,200,000 hosted domains. We have over 260 employees to provide you superior around the clock support. We are the perfect choice whether you are looking for business, personal, or even Fortune 500 hosting.
Why Do We Need a Reliable Web Host?
People usually wonder “why reliable web hosting?” Critical components as listed below are some of the reasons why:
- Server monitoring and 24×7 security to safeguard your site
- Spam filtering
- Firewall protection to protect the site from unwanted trespass
- Weekly site backups
- 99.9% up-time guarantee
Apart from the above, there are many other useful reasons. Certain components responsible for reliable web hosting not only decrease your stress but also increase productivity. Reliable web hosting is known to provide dependable up time so that you can make changes on your website and upload it for customers to view in minimal time.
Click On Banner To direct you to hostgator and make sure to jot down the Coupon code to get your first month for a cent. Make sure you get the baby croc plan. Works with coupon code.
You can either continue your monthly hostgator baby plan or if u wish you can switch to a longer hosting term or switch to other hosting package altogether.
How Does It Work
1. Click here to go to HostGator site. Click on “Web Hosting” in the Top Menu. Select “order now” under the “Baby” plan.
2. If you already have a domain name, click “I will use my existing domain” or else, you’ll need to chose and Register your new domain. Click “Next” when finished.
3. Use this code babycroc plan, ENTER COUPON CODE: 1centhostsaving and click “Calculate Totals”. Code may have limited time use, so try either one that will take.
4. You should see that the total reflects your discounted price.
ENTER COUPON CODE: 1centhostsaving
Are you still with me, if you need to go over the information then go over again, until you feel comfortable to proceed. Very Important, book mark your Cpanel to sign in with hostgator.
3. Proceed in the back office of hostgator panel and go to Fantastico deluxe icon, click on it and it will take you to another menu with a list of information to choose from. Well scroll down and you should see WordPress , click on it. And chose New Installation, and now you will apply your new domain name that you bought onto Install on domain, then scroll down to Admin access data, put admin or your name, it doesn’t matter. This is for you to remember so when you sign in you use the user name you chose. Just for your information, write all your user name down and password so you don’t forget.
Then Base Configuration, fill all the boxes, nickname, place your email and domain name and description. Before you go any further, book mark this or add to favorites, so you have access to your hostgator Cpanel for future use. Then click install WordPress. You will leave hostgator and you will be redirected to WordPress.
If you need to later make any adjustments, you can do it on WordPress, so don’t worry if you feel missed adding something. This will open up WordPress Sign In menu. Place your user name and password then click login and this will open into your wordpress.
4. Now go to your wordpress dashboard, this will display at your left facing side a menu of choices. Scroll down to Appearance, to take you to Themes and click on this. What this is, is how you want to dress up your blog with its appearance, there are several of them to choose from which are free. Choosing your themes, keep it simple and stay away from dark background or hard to read themes. Some themes are SEO friendly, to help traffic come your way. Or just pick an appearance theme that best suit your need or product. Click on tab, Add New button and then download the theme that best suit you and activate it. Remember you can always change this later, just familiarize in what to do. Go to the top of wordpress menu click on visit site and there you are able to view your wordpress blog.
5. Adding content to your blog. If you are ready to post a blog, click on post and this will say Hello World and you can always change this by clicking on it. Everything on the post is self explanatory, give yourself time to explore all the buttons, so you know what to expect. You can always go back and edit your blog.
6. Installing Plugins – go to dashboard on your wordpress panel, scroll down till you see a button displaying plugins. Click on this button, a search box will appear and you can place a request of plugins to choose from. Plugins will help your blog to be much more friendly, social buttons like twitter, face book etc., SEO friendly, Content friendly, video download or photos.
Write down or copy and paste these plugins and start adding it to your WordPress. After applying each plugins, don’t forget to activate it at the time or later. Here are some valuable plug-ins. Remember Copy Paste Plugins to search box and click search tab and Install and Activate:
Social Media Plugins and click Search button:
wp.google buzz, Tweetmeme, FBmeme, social bookmarking button
* Platinum SEO plugin – All in one SEO plugin, this require extra steps that may confuse you. Platinum SEO plugin is just as good, I use it.
* Google XML Sitemap, use the latest version. This is so the all the search engines are able to find your site.
* Wp Super Cache – increase any slow downs on your site.
7. Website created! Congratulations!
8. Comment And Share Your Experience -Most appreciated!
That’s all you need to do to know for how to set up WordPress. Now you just need to pick a niche, write some posts, and drive the traffic to them.
I hope that helped you guys, and have fun with WordPress!
Mahalo to your success, Lani kee
(Note: Web Hosting – Hostgator is an affiliate link, so I do receive commission.)
Optional Resources: Break the frustration and see how you are able to enhance your blogging with wordpress. Most of us, learn by others who know what they are doing, so take a break and see how it may work for you. Check it out, for yourself!
In addition, another tip to guide you through your online blogging venture.